Monday, October 29, 2007

"The Oats We Sow" - Gregory and the Hawk






This is one of the most beautiful songs I’ve heard in a while, and I mean, beautiful. As I've written previously, about a week ago I was lucky enough to open for Meredith Godreau (AKA Gregory and the Hawk), at a DIY show in Brooklyn, and was so impressed with her performance that I felt compelled to buy her debut album, In Your Dreams.

“The Oats We Sow” was one of the songs she played live, and it sounds even better on the album with the accompaniment of some rippling piano lines and heartbreaking viola. It’s got everything I love in a song. Finger-plucked guitar chords that unravel like ancient ribbons, a great set of lyrics, and a really honest vocal. It's a really evocative track, and it reminds me of being seventeen, back in 2004, looking out the window of the AVE traveling from Madrid to Sevilla and seeing all these absurdly picturesque orchards blurring by. Fantastic.

Go here to buy the album. Other stand-outs include “People Who Raised Me,” the gorgeous “Kill the Turkey” (one of the few things that’s ever made me feel uncomfortable with the omnivorous life), and the aching “The Bolder Thing to Do.”


"The Oats We Sow," live at The Fix

No comments:

Post a Comment