Tuesday, October 16, 2007

British Sea Power @ Maxwell's, NJ 10-15-07




I went to see BSP last night at Maxwell’s over in Hoboken. All in all it was a good show, though the band didn’t seem to be in top form and the sound wasn’t great. Blame it on the hype of pieces like this, I guess. In spite of that, I enjoyed myself, as I was lucky enough to be in the front row and even got a pat on the back and a kind word from Yan after I helped him figure out why he wasn’t getting any sound out of his guitar (it wasn’t plugged in).

“Stay there, man,” he intoned in a high, harsh coastal accent, and I obeyed (he was wearing a Nelson-esque naval officer’s greatcoat), very narrowly avoiding getting smashed in the face by his guitar’s machine heads at various points throughout the course of the set, which included an impassioned, whirlwind rendition of the early EP track “Spirit of St. Louis.” Other highlights included the new songs, “Atom,” “Lucifer,” and “Jet Lag Jimmy Jam,” which all had a real punk feel reminiscent of tunes like “Apologies to Insect Life” and “Favours in the Beetroot Fields” from their debut, Decline of British Sea Power.

I managed to snag the beer-drenched and trodden-on set list, which I’ve attempted to transcribe below:

Set List:
1. Apologies to Insect Life
2. Atom
3. Remember Me
4. Please Stand Up
5. Down on the Ground
6. Pelican
7. Spirit of St. Louis
8. A Wooden Horse
9. Fear of Drowning
10. Larsen B
11. Lucifer
12. How Will I Ever Find My Way Home?
13. Carrion
14. Lights Out F.D.S. (?)
15. Lately / Rock in A
16. Jet Lag Jimmy Jam

Opening act: Star Death from Oklahoma.

-ST

No comments:

Post a Comment