Thursday, April 10, 2008

Gypsy Jack



"I was born just after the Snowstorm of ‘87
Hit this town way back when
My name’s Gypsy Jack
They call me that 'cause I got dark skin and black hair
They call me that 'cause folks ain't never seen a foreigner in these parts and I guess I'm ‘bout the closest thing
Anyways
I signs my name “Gypsy Jack”
One time down by the old shoehorn
Got my leg stuck in the railroad track
Lord, had me a hell of a time tryin' to get my leg out
Pretty soon I start sweatin', you know?
Lord, had me a hell of a time
Tryin’ to pull that leg out from that track
I swear to God almighty, I hear that train coming
And I thought I’s gonna break down and cry
Heat o' the sun
Nobody ‘round
Things was lookin' pretty gloomy there for a minute or two
Anyways
I’m prying with my fingers
They’re all covered in dirt by now
Bleedin' a little too
Just a-trying to maybe lift whatever it is has got me stuck
How’d it happen?
Couldn’t tell you
But I sure had me a hell of a time tryin' to pull that Goddamn (beg pardon) leg out of there
Finally, I get free
Sweatin' like crazy you know?
I stumble down into the ditch and that train passes me by
Loud as anything
Jesus, I thinks
Could’ve been me dead in a minute there
Boy howdy.
Sure had me a hell of a time."

-As told to Peter Crickners at T-----, date unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment