Saturday, December 1, 2007

Dreams / Blue Moon - Cat Power




Just the other week I finally picked up The Greatest, and after a few spins I’ve become completely infatuated with all things Chan Marshall. Here are three reasons.

1. She's from the South and her voice is the sound of soul. If I had to describe it, I would say it sounds like she was born in the window booth of a Georgia roadside diner—the kind of place where you wash down a stack of syrupy pancakes with three or four cigarettes and five or six cups of black coffee. It’s a lot more romantic in my mind than it sounds, trust me.

2. She can do indie-bleak better than anyone who comes from a place where it snows.

3. She's absolutely gorgeous.

Cat Power’s second album of covers, the aptly entitled Jukebox, comes out on January 22nd of next year, and to celebrate, (the royal) we here at Anesthetic Hymns are posting a smoky little medley of tunes by the Everly Brothers and the Marcels, respectively, bootlegged way back in ’05.

Listen, if you will, to the way she says, “moon” as if it were “moan.” I almost can’t stand it.

Right here, guy:
Dreams/Blue Moon (Live at Le Cigale, Paris 2005)

1 comment: